cff

Monday 7 October 2013

Shape & Form... The Futurist Way

 
One of Fortunato Depero's Futurist waistcoats.
 
I'm on my way to getting my Futurist handbook sorted out so that I have a specific small amount of rules I must adhere to for my designing stage so during the process I needed to look at accepted shapes of Futurism and I realised I hadn't put up a post about this yet so here it is!
I learnt a lot about the shape and form in Futurism by looking specifically at the related fashion. I was shocked at how amazingly colourful these pieces of clothing were, especially the waistcoats! Just look at these Futurists proudly wearing them here. I personally would have to applaud them for their bravery. Then again making a statement was something they were all about!
 
 
Futurist shape and form:
  • No uniformity
  • Asymmetrical
  • Aggressive shaping
  • Different lengths and shapes
  • Sleek lines
  • Simple shapes
  • Shapes to stun and liberate!
  • Diagonal surface patterns
  • Geometric exuberance
  • NO stripes, checks or little dots
  • Dynamic patterns
  • Lots of triangles, cones, spirals, ellipses & circles
  • Zigzag décolletés, sleeves that don't match, different shaped/height shoes
         
 
I really like how these specific shapes can be fit together to create interesting patterns which seem state-of-the-art for that time.


1 comment:

tutorphil said...

keep it coming, Emma! Can't wait to see you beginning to apply your new found knowledge - it's going to be vivid! :)